Some of my customers and friends had a problem: after installing KB4041676, VMs on Server 2016 didn’t boot. The problem is in update – Microsoft releases the update with a mistake and correct this update immediately the same afternoon, but in some cases the old update remained in cache on devices or WSUS servers. To be sure, that you have the right update, check this link and retrieve the right delta update.
What if you are already there and your VM is not booting?
To solve the issue, follow this steps:
- Start the VM from the media (DVD, ISO…)
- At the installation menu, select Repair computer and in Advanced options select Command prompt
- In command prompt, you have to execute this commands:
- reg load hklm\temp c:\windows\system32\config\software
- reg delete “HKLM\temp\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\SessionsPending” /v Exclusive
- reg unload HKLM\temp
- After correcting the registry, we still need to remove the update with commands:
- Use dism /image:c:\ /get-packages to list all installed packages to check if the package is really installed
- When you find the package, you can uninstall with command: dism /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:packageidentity /scratchdir:c:\temp (package identity is an identity reported in output from previous command)
- Reboot the server
Hope it is helpful.