Migrate SharePoint Data (Optional)
This step is an optional. If you are using SBS SharePoint, you might wish to migrate it. SBS deployments that don’t use this component, can skip this step.
You will be able to attach a content database to a destination server only if the version of SBS SharePoint is SP2 or later and the content database is prepared for migration.
To check the version of SharePoint, follow this steps:
- In Start menu go to Administrative tools and lunch SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration.
- Click on Operations in top menu.
- Click on Servers in farm on the left pane.
- On the right pane you can see the SharePoint version of Small Business Server. If it is SP2, the number must be at least 184.108.40.20621. For migration proposes it will be acceptable any version greatest of this one.
Before you begin with migration, it is necessary to verify upgrade readiness on SBS Server. Follow this steps:
- Open Command prompt as Administrator.
- Navigate to folder C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions12BIN, where C: is the name of the system drive.
- Run the Command STSADM.EXE -o preupgradecheck.
- Review the report located in C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWeb Server Extensions12LOGS and search for errors.
- If there are no errors, the site is ready to upgrade, otherwise correct all the errors.
On the new server install SharePoint Foundation following this steps:
- Download the package from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5970.
- Run the downloaded package and click Install software prerequisites.
- On SharePoint preparation tool click Next.
- Accept EULA and click Next.
- It will take few minutes to complete all installation tasks. After this click Finish.
- Rerun the downloaded package and select Install SharePoint Foundation.
- Accept EULA and click Continue.
- On Choice the installation you want select Server Farm.
- It will take few minutes to complete the installation.
- On the Installation complete screen, leave the checkbox in Run configuration wizard and click Close.
- Complete the Configuration Wizard specifying your configuration.
- Click on Start, All Programs, SharePoint 2010 Products and lunch SharePoint 2010 Central Administration.
- In the Web Applications section click Manage Web Application.
- In the Ribbon click New.
- In Create Web Application window change those values:
- In the IIS Web Site section:
- Select Create a new IIS Web Site.
- In the Host Header box type your desired host name.
- In the Application Pool section:
- Select Create new Application pool.
- Select Configurable.
- Type the Account used for running the application pool.
- In the Database Name and Authentication section:
- In Database name type the desired name of the database (later will be removed).
- In the IIS Web Site section:
- On the bottom of the page click OK.
- On the Application created screen, click the OK button.
To transfer content database to the new server, follow this steps:
- On SBS Server lunch SQL 2005 Management studio as Administrator.
- In Connect to Server window in Server Name type: \.pipeMSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEEsqlquery and click Connect.
- Expand Databases and right-click on ShareWebDB, then click to Task, Backup…
- In BackUp Database window, under Backup destination, select Disk and click Add… to select backup file name.
- Click OK and wait the job to complete.
- Transfer the backup file to the new server
- On the new server run SQL 2008R2 Management studio as Administrator (or another version of the supported SQL server).
- Connect to desired instance and right-click on databases.
- Select Restore Databases…
- In Restore Database window add parameters do this:
- In To Database write the name of database to restore – ShareWebDB.
- In Source for Restore select From Device and use the button (…) to select the backup file of database.
- Click OK and wait that task complete.
To transfer content to new server we will use the attach database method. This could be done using this steps:
- Go to Start, All Programs, SharePoint 2010 Products and run SharePoint 2010 Management Shell as Administrator.
- In Shell type Test-SPContentDatabase -name ShareWebDB -WebApplication http://<SITE_NAME>:80 (where <SITE_NAME> is the name of the Web Application and ShareWebDB is the name of the transferred database).
- It is all normal, if you don’t have any output.
- In Shell type Mount-SPContentDatabase -WebApplication http://<SITE_NAME> sharewebdb (where <SITE_NAME> is the name of the Web Application and ShareWebDB is the name of the transferred database).
- Check in Internet Explorer for the availability of site http://<SITE_NAME>.
- Verify the migrated content by browsing the web site.
- On the web site go to Site Settings and select Visual Upgrade.
- In Visual Upgrade window, in Visual Upgrade section, select Update the user interface and click OK.