Lately I had a lot of problems with TLS 1.0 standards, which have changed. For a lot of secure applications you have to disable TLS 1.0, if you want the connection to work.
Well, set settings for any user it makes no sense and the only acceptable way it is thru GPO settings. There is no real setting for change-enabled protocol (you have to do it in Internet Explorer settings). The only way I found was changing the registry value of SecuredProtocol, located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings.
But here is only a numerical value and I had to find how is it calculated. I found some values in an article and from here you can calculate the desired value. The basic numbers are:
0 = Do not use secure protocols
2 = PCT 1.0
8 = SSL 2.0
32 = SSL 3.0
128 = TLS 1.0
512 = TLS 1.1
2048 = TLS 1.2
If you want to enable more protocols, just sum the desired numbers. For example, to enable TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2 and SSL 3.0 is 512 + 2048 + 32 = 2592. This is a decimal value for a registry key SecuredProtocol. Deploy a registry value true GPO and the setting is done.
On January 4th, Intel processor vulnerability was published. It is a vulnerability that affects not only Microsoft systems, but also all other systems, including iOS, Android, Linux etc.
I won’t spend the same words as you can read them in many published articles about the vulnerability and how serious it is. I just want to share two links, where is it possible to find tools / patches for Microsoft systems:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution (PowerShell must be 5.1 or higher)
It could happen. I saw this issue couple of times, not only on domain controllers, but also on other domain joined computers.
The cause of this problem is the Network Location Awareness service. We know, that this service is recognising network location based on gateway and is trying to locate AD server thru port 389. Well, when gateway is changed or no server connection true port 389 is available, we have a new network location – by default it is Public.
Anyway, it can happened that NLA service starts before the AD services are started (or before DC is reachable on a non DC server). In this case, we will have public network profile on DC or domain joined computers. If firewall is enabled, most of network services will not run as the firewall for the Public profile is almost closed.
We have few possibilities to solve this situation. Maybe the most simple way is to restart the server, but I don’t know if I can restart the server at this moment and what was the original cause of the problem – maybe it will reappear. The second option is to disable / reenable the NIC adapter and in most cases, it will solve the issue. We will get the same result if we just restart the NLA service – this is a better way.
In some cases, you cannot connect to the computer for some reason. In this case, I use PowerShell remote session to solve the problem.
Here are the steps:
Enter-PSSession ComputerName (establish connection to computer with the problem)
Get-NetConnectionProfile (this will show you your current location profile – if this is the source of the problem, the location will not be Domain)
Restart-Service nlasvc (this cmdlet will restart NLA service; after this step you should see Domain network profile)
Get-NetConnectionProfile (just to check if the solution works)
Exit-PSSession (disconnect form the remote computer)
Based on my experience, this solution works always. Some administrators also suggest to change start option for NLA service to Automatic (Delayed Start). I am not sure if this is a good solution; be careful with it. Maybe you can do it in cases where this error is frequent (better: search for the original cause and solve the problem)
Some of my customers and friends had a problem: after installing KB4041676, VMs on Server 2016 didn’t boot. The problem is in update – Microsoft releases the update with a mistake and correct this update immediately the same afternoon, but in some cases the old update remained in cache on devices or WSUS servers. To be sure, that you have the right update, check this link and retrieve the right delta update.
What if you are already there and your VM is not booting?
To solve the issue, follow this steps:
- Start the VM from the media (DVD, ISO…)
- At the installation menu, select Repair computer and in Advanced options select Command prompt
- In command prompt, you have to execute this commands:
- reg load hklm\temp c:\windows\system32\config\software
- reg delete “HKLM\temp\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\SessionsPending” /v Exclusive
- reg unload HKLM\temp
- After correcting the registry, we still need to remove the update with commands:
- Use dism /image:c:\ /get-packages to list all installed packages to check if the package is really installed
- When you find the package, you can uninstall with command: dism /image:c:\ /remove-package /packagename:packageidentity /scratchdir:c:\temp (package identity is an identity reported in output from previous command)
- Reboot the server
Hope it is helpful.
Well as I know many users are trying to find Windows key with some key viewer software. Nothing wrong, but this software is not always “nice” and can do something else than just show you a key. Of course, with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 you have many times a key in BIOS, so there is no need to search for it.
Anyway, if you feel better when you have a key printed on a piece of paper, you can do that simply with one PowerShell cmdlet:
Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’
This will show you more than only a key. There are a lot of information on licensing, like KMS server, OS version, … In some cases it can be useful.